Worcester Township Open Space Program- 300 by 300!
The Board of Supervisors has launched an Open Space Program that aims to permanently preserve at least 300 acres of land by 2033, the Township's 300th Anniversary! When achieved more than 20% of the Township's total land area will be preserved forever...that's one in every five acres!
With this in mind, the Board of Supervisors created a program that matches private donations made to open space preservation efforts. The Township will match every dollar contributed, up to $300,000 per year, with all funds held in a special account dedicated for open space preservation.
Open Space has always been a top priority for Worcester Township. To date about 1,825 acres have been preserved throughout our community. In addition, more than 1,000 acres are presently enrolled in the Worcester Township Agricultural Security Area (ASA). The owners of farms and other lands enrolled in the ASA are provided with incentives to keep the property open and to maintain active agricultural uses. Enrollment in the ASA is voluntary (by State Law), and an owner can remove their land from the ASA program, and develop the property, at any time.
- Permanently preserve lands through purchase or by a conservation easement that forever restricts development.
- Provide public access at all privately-owned lands preserved by a conservation easement.
- Create open spaces that link to neighborhoods, commercial centers, and other open spaces.
- Protect environmentally sensitive lands, including wetlands and animal habitats.
- Establish a Township-wide off-road trail network.
- Keep Worcester Township a great place to live, work, and raise a family!
How can you help?
- Have land to sell? Contact the Township Building, and let's talk options...including the Township purchasing the entire property, a portion of the property, or a conservation easement. We'll work to create a plan that works best for you and your family.
- Want to donate? Worcester Township created a special fund that will only be used to preserve land. The Township will match every contribution made to this fund, up to $300,000 per year. It's a great way to join in our efforts to protect the higher quality of life Worcester families deserve.
Any questions about the program, please call the Township Building at (610) 584-1410, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.